Sunday, August 30, 2009

Finally Free of Week Three

Wow, what a week. I really don't like it when I start out a week very strong and then have temptation after temptation to eat poorly and then, half way through the week, give in to bad eating. The major problem with that is that a part of me gives up for the rest of that week. I think that is what happened this last week.

Sunday through Tuesday were great. I stuck to the diet and exercised everyday. Sunday, granted, was just a walk with the family, but I still did great at everything... Then Wednesday hit. If I had just fallen a little on Wednesday, I think it would have been alright for the rest of the week, but, as I said above, one slide leads to another.

Wednesday was an activity for my oldest son, Steven. He is just starting cub scouts with church and there was a meet and greet type activity. The boys were supposed to help cook a side dish and then bring their dads to the activity for eating and such. So, Steven's favorite side dish is potato salad. His mom got the recipe from my mother and it's a great dish. Well, Steven and mom made the potato salad and then I went with him to scouts. At scouts we had a choice of hamburgers or hot dogs and then lots of sides. Now here's the crux of my situation. By the time that we finally made it to Steven's activity, it was 7:00pm. I had not eaten since around 11:00 when I had lunch. I was really hungry, and that was the death of me. I did fine on the main dish, having only one hamburger (believe me, I wanted more). My killer that evening was that I had three servings of mom's/Steven's potato salad, and then, when I got home that evening, I had another helping and finished it off. To make matters worse, I didn't exercise, because I came home and went straight to scouts with Steven.

Thursday was another matter, I ate good during the day and exercised. In fact, I need to share a new favorite of mine. I take a piece of whole wheat flat bread. It's about the same size as a flour tortilla, only thicker. I added 2 tbs of hummus, 2 slices of honey baked turkey breast and then roll it up like a wrap. I hate to say it, but I have started counting calories just a bit, so here's the breakdown of that concoction.

Flat Bread: 100 calories per slice
Hummus: 50 calories per 2 tbls
Honey Baked Turkey: 70 calories per 2 slices

Grand total: 220 Calories.

I ate one of those and it satisfied me for about 3 hours. When I got hungry again around 2:00, I ate another and it was enough to tide me over until dinner.

When I got home on Thursday we ate a sensible dinner of fish tacos. I had three of those. I've substituted plain non-fat yogurt for the sour cream and Teresa made a DELICIOUS pico de gallo for the salsa on those. After dinner we went on our "almost nightly" walk. I measured the distance we go, it's only around the block once. It's 1.4 miles and it takes us anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on our pace. I also started timing myself for how long I can keep up a jog. Now, I know that my time is going to make most of you chuckle, I find it comical myself for how long I can keep up a jog, but it's a start and gives me a mile marker. I'll include that at the end.

Had the rest of the week continued on like Thursday, I think I would have been successful this week, but, alas, it did not. On Friday the guys at work decided that they wanted to go out to a Korean restaurant for lunch and I didn't resist. I went, had some Kim Chi (sp) and some wontons and so bulgogi (sp) with rice. It was a lunch portion, so not too much food. I had run out of my flat bread, so I couldn't have that for a snack when I got hungry again near 2:00. So when it was time to go home, I was really hungry. I usually call Teresa when I'm on my way home from work and Friday was no different. When I called her, she said that she hadn't made dinner yet and I suggested that we try Applebees, since we have coupons for the kids to get free meals. I know, it was twice in one day, bad enough to go out twice in one week. But, I rationalized, I would just order their salad, get a vinaigrette salad dressing and then call it an evening. Well, by the time we got to the restaurant and waited in line for a table, I was starving. Restaurants and starving are a poor combination. I order the fajitas and ate every last bit. We left the restaurant and, because I was stuffed, I chose not to go walking either.

Saturday was a little better. I ate a sensible breakfast and then a fitness bar for lunch. I worked outside in the yard most of the day. We decided to invite our neighbors over, though, so the strict diet food was not much of an option. We cooked tri tip. It was great, but I probably had six pieces. On top of that I had 1 1/2 baked potatoes and then some cake at the end and a salad and and and... We ate at 5:30 but then by the time that our friends left, it was too late to go walking, and the boys needed to go to bed. My exercise in working around the yard was going to have to be sufficient for the day. Then it's time to go to bed and I'm starving again. I got a salad out of the fridge and ate that. It had lettuce, chopped up steak and I added light ranch.

So, not surprising, after all of these setbacks, I was not happy with my weigh in this morning.

Here's what I've learned this week:

1. Don't allow myself to get to the starving stage. Eat less but more often
2. Make sure that I exercise in some way everyday
3. Say no to restaurants for the next month or so, to get myself situated on how I should be eating.
4. Don't give up after a bad day.
5. Don't eat when I'm depressed.

Okay, so number five doesn't really have anything to do with me, because I haven't been depressed and I didn't eat when I was. I added that more so that in case anyone reading this was depressed at my progress this week, they wouldn't be tempted to eat. :)

As for this evening, I should have gone walking again, but it started raining and we had a bit of a storm that lasted until late, so we didn't go. I did take some cool pictures, so I apologize for adding pictures that have nothing to do with my diet, but I thought that they were beautiful. There's a few of them. They were all taken after it was dark and the sun had completely set. If you'll look at them, you'll see a shiny spot in the upper right hand corner of the pictures... That's Venus, pretty cool!

Onto the results of this week's endeavors:


Journey's starting weight: 260
Week's Starting weight: 251 Pounds
Current weight: 250 Pounds
Weight Loss last week: 1 Pound
Total weight loss: 10 pounds
% Weight Loss this last week: .4%
% Weight Loss total diet: 3.8%
Time jogging without stopping: 2:40

Now, the next pictures were of the amazing thunderstorm that passed through for a couple of hours this evening. Enjoy!

Steve









10 comments:

Roger said...

A pound is enough for some weeks.
Eating out is OK if you stick with portion control.
You can lose some battles and still win the war.
Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in - Winston Churchill

Steve said...

Aye aye, Sir!

Alicia said...

Congrats Steve! 1 pound is going to happen some weeks. You can't feel like you totally failed. You did quite well. I actually think Applebees is where we went when we were doing Weight Watchers because they have a Weight Watchers menu. It tells you exactly how many calories, etc. are in each meal. Try going again, but maybe not so hungry. Also, I think grilling is an EXCELLENT idea for you. You love to do it. It's delicious and that is a good way to keep the fat/calories down on eating meat. Grill chicken or steak or anything, just don't add sauces and stuff. Very healthy. We actually just did fajitas and grilled chicken, steak, peppers, onions and then put them on a tortilla. Delicious!

Good luck this week!

Sue said...

I think that it is great that you lost weight when you pretty much ate what you wanted! Way to go! Now you have an idea of what kinds and amounts of foods it takes for you to maintain your weight, just go lower. Applebees actually has a weight watchers part on their menu - I am sure that that food is healthier and I think that fajitas are healthy. I love the hummus idea, thanks. And I love the pictures of the storm, it reminds me of your house.

Teresa said...

Your doing Awesome honey! You eat way less than you used too, and you just have to keep at it. Especially now that you have the whole world involved. :)
I actually think our guest dinner was WONDERFUL. We used to serve people funeral potatoes, and heavy cream sauces. This time we had meat, salad, potato, and nectarines and for dessert an angel food cake with strawberries. That is an excellent meal. You really shouldn't see the negative in everything. You will have to work on that.

Steve said...

True, I should not get discouraged. I just need to remember how many pounds I can lose if I stick to the diet the whole week and not just four days.

Kristin said...

Way to go Bose! 1 pound is fabulous considering how the week went. You could have gained that pound. Anyway, at my first weight watchers weigh in, I lost 4.4 pounds. Yipee!!! I'll have my next weigh in this Friday. I'll let you know how that goes! And like Roger said, never never give up. Our meeting leader (at WW) asked us, "What do you do when you fall down a flight of stairs?" The answer for most people was "look around to make sure no one saw" but the true answer is you get back up again! We're all human, we're going to fall, we just have to never give up! Keep up the good work!!!

Lee said...

What was your exercise today?

Steve said...

You know, when I gave you the address to my blog, I didn't think you would actually check it. I thought that you were just doing it to sound moderately interested. I think I may regret giving it to you now... As for my exercise routine, I didn't go today. I did not have time after work. I'll go during lunch tomorrow.

laura said...

COngrats on the pound. It could have been a gain.
I was thinking about you and grilling also. Grilling is a great option because there are no heavy sauces. When we grill, we do chicken AND zucchini or asparagus. It is delicious grilled. Eat that with a big serving of fruit salad and you have a filling, healthy meal.
Keep up the great work!