Sunday, August 9, 2009

Steve's Weight Loss Journey


Okay, so I should begin by telling everyone a little about myself, so here goes...

My name is Steve. I am thirty-five years old and in the best shape of my life... Oh wait, I'm supposed to be telling the truth now. Let's start over.

My name is Steve. I am thirty-five years old (that part wasn't a lie.) I weigh 260 pounds and I'm at the heaviest point in my life right now. Now, I'm not writing this blog to play the pity party. I take full responsibility for the condition of my body right now. After being a big guy nearly all of my life, I have finally decided that it's time for me to lose weight and be healthier. This, unfortunately, is not going to be easy. I LOVE to eat and I HATE to exercise. That is a combination for Heart Disease (runs in the family,) Diabetes (runs in the family,) high blood pressure (runs in the family...) I'm sure that you get the picture. I am not healthy and I would like to be healthy for myself, my children and most especially, my wife.

So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm starting a blog about my weight loss Journey, hence the name of the blog. I will blog on a weekly basis giving the status of my "Weekly Weigh-in" and include a picture of me at the weigh in. During the week I will also blog what I can on what I ate, how much exercise I did, any milestones that I reached and other personal feelings.

Now, why do I think that this attempt at a lifestyle change is going to work? Well, I've always felt that the only way that I would lose weight is if I'm held accountable to someone. I would like to be held accountable. I want your encouragement, your comments, your thoughts, your criticisms (if you so desire,) or anything else that you can think to contribute. I would also LOVE for you to tell me about your weight loss theories, stories or suggestions. If anyone would like to participate with me and lose weight with me, I'll have a separate section for those comments. I am not going to advertise this blog directly to anyone, so if you're here its because someone told you about it, or you read about it somewhere that I posted it. Either way, I hope that you, along with me, can gain something of value here.

Now, I didn't gain all of this weight quickly, and I don't expect to lose it quickly, so this is going to be less of a diet and more of a diet /lifestyle change. Here is what I plan. Today is the 9th of August, 2009. In one year (9 Aug 2010) I would like to lose 30 to 35% of my body weight. That equates to a weight loss of between 78 to 91 pounds. I also have an exercise goal. Cardiovascular exercise is always what I've had the most difficult time with. I would like to either be able to jog 10 miles without stopping, or I would like to be able to bike 50 miles without stopping. I don't know enough about exercising yet to be able to put the times that I would like to be able to accomplish that. I'm sure that will come with practice / experience.

Well, I think I've explained enough about this. Please pass this address on to anyone who you think would like to participate in this Journey of a lifetime challenge. I am challenging myself to get in shape and would love for anyone else to take the challenge with me.

12 comments:

Sue said...

I love this, I am excited to see your progress. I agree with the accountability, I joined weight watchers for accountability- it cost me a lot; this will work a lot better. I wish you the best!

Roeckers said...

I will join ya on the weight loss as soon as this parasite leaves my body!

Good for you Steve. I will try to remember to send you some yummy recipes to try. What kind of program are you on?

You are way more ambitious than I am! 10 miles without stopping WOW!! I can barely do 2.5 and it has to be on a treadmill LOL!

You can do it! You will set an awesome example for your boys!

Roger said...

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE!
My observations:
1. Start by just walking (no jogging) an hour three times a week. Take your books on tape.
2. Weight loss is 90% what you eat and 10% excercise.
3. Eat fruit to fill you and to satisfy the sweettooth.
4. STOP eating immediately before you fill full and say to yourself, I can have something in a couple of hours if I am hungry then.
5. You WILL binge eat from time to time. Just don't give up.
6. Eat a good breakfast.

These are things that have worked for me. Good luck!

Teresa said...

Yea dear! This is awesome. We are definitely different people since I would NEVER tell the world all about my weight loss struggles. Hope this works for you. I will help as much as I can, and hopefully lose some in the process as well. I like Dad's suggestions. Those sound like a great start. And we need to follow up with Chrissy on her good recipes.
Looks like we need to go buy you a bike huh?

Steve said...

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Do I really expect to be able to bike 50 miles if I don't have a bike?

Unknown said...

WOW! It takes a lot of courage to do what you're doing! I am inspired and will be on a similar journey! I'll pass along any little "tricks" I might come across and will look forward to your success! Here's to health! Thanks Schwester:)

Katie said...

How brave you are! You have our support! We´ll follow your blog and give you ideas how and what to do if we can think of any. One thing I just heard : Drink at least 0.5 litres water before you eat... that makes you feel full.

Unknown said...

Steve, you can do it! I have all the "issues" you have -- health issues that run in the family, virtual uncontrollable lust/love for food, and the biggest issue: distaste for exercise. Losing up to 90 pounds in a year is completely reasonable! It took about a year, year and a half for me to lose 75. Start slowly is my advice: Concentrate on changing some of your eating habits for a week or two. It can be anywhere from changing the portion sizes to using healthier ingredients, or both!

Steve said...

I love that advice! That is why I emphasized that it will be a work in progress. I gave myself a year so that I could focus on making the changes gradually, not all at once.

Kristin said...

In the words of the weird guy in the movie The Water Boy....."You can do eet." Good for you, Bose! I'm starting weight watchers myself as soon as the girls start school. (which is in 1 week...aahhhh) I look forward to watching you melt away!!! :)

Dad said...

Good idea Steve. I was told to weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, before breakfast and after you've done all the bathroom essentials. However, I had a friend that did have a heart attack and the doctor put him on a very strick diet and told him to weigh everyday. I hope you have seen a doctor and gotten a good physical. Never can tell with your family history if there isn't a heart attack waiting for you. Love you Pops

Mom said...

Good going Steven! I know you can do it! One thing I've found to be helpful is to discover when it is you crave food - it it when your depressed, stressed, bored? Mine is definately when I'm bored-especially at work when we don't have patients (Mondays) and I'm suppose to be doing paperwork!! I find myself reaching for FOOD! Another thing I've learned is to STAY OFF THE SCALE! Let your clothes tell you how your doing - do your pants fit better, etc. You become a slave to the scale and when you don't loose anything or even gain a pound or two after working so hard, its very depressing and I find myself saying what the heck, I may as well eat! Good luck - don't give up! Love Mom