Monday, September 14, 2009

Stayed Alive through Week Five!

Okay, okay, I get it. I'm a day late. I know. That seems to be the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. Those stories, however, are for a different blog. I do have an excuse. I am on business this week and was traveling all day Sunday. I was just not up for blogging at 11:00 at night after I had traveled all day. I hope that you will excuse this fopaux.

I have to admit, this week wasn't too bad. I wish that I had exercised more. I exercised three times last week, as opposed to five times, which is my goal. The amount of times that I exercised is definitely an improvement over what I have been doing, but I do realize that "a little better" is not the same as my best. Please forgive me if I don't seem as bummed out about not exercising everyday this week, but the week wasn't a total failure.

For eating I controlled my portions well this week. I didn't make a concerted effort, it was more a guilt if I let myself get too full. That control on the portions is a great feat for me. I have been one, for as long as I can remember, that ate until I was stuffed. I still have people ask me if I usually ate until I was uncomfortable, and I would have to honestly say that I always ate until I was so full I couldn't eat anymore, but I loved that feeling, so I wasn't uncomfortable. That desire to stuff myself hasn't gone away, but I have found myself pausing and considering my actions now and sticking to one helping of food. I feel like this past week was truly a learning experience for me, another "ah hah" moment. I realize that Roger may have some validity to his statement when he says that weight loss is in large part due to portion control. I am actually enjoying exercising and am not using this as an excuse to cut that out. I have to admit, though, that an hour's worth of exercise isn't going to compensate for having that second helping of meatloaf and mashed potatoes at dinner.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that there were several things that I also learned about myself:

1. Don’t allow myself to get to the “starving stage” in my day.

a. I definitely saw the bad in doing this. This past week I let myself get there twice and came home from work and ate more than I should have. I didn’t eat as bad as before the diet, but still worse than usual.

2. Make sure that I exercise in some way every day.

a. I did not do this. I love staying up late, and so I’m usually too tired to get up early and exercise. The problem with this is that with church youth activities, peewee football, and general working around the house activities, I don’t have the time that I would like in the evenings. So, I need to get to bed earlier so that I can get up and exercise on those days when I won’t have time in the evenings. That is my goal.

3. Say no to restaurants.

a. Did good on this one. I think I went out once and I ate pretty reasonably.

4. Don’t give up after a bad day.

a. Check… Hua?

5. Don’t eat when I’m depressed.

a. Okay, this one was a gag, anyway. If you know me, I’m rarely depressed. In fact, I eat whether or not I’m depressed.

I think that pretty much sums up my week. I, unfortunately, am not going to have a picture this week or next week due to my business trip. I won’t have a weigh in next week, either. I did weigh in this week before I left.

I do apologize for not having a picture, but I think this will be cool to see the difference after two weeks of being away on TDY.


Journey's starting weight: 260
Week's Starting weight: 248 Pounds
Current weight: 245 Pounds
Weight Loss last week: 3 Pound
Total weight loss: 15 pounds
% Weight Loss this last week: 1.2%
% Weight Loss total diet: 5.8%
Time jogging without stopping: 2:10

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Those two pounds a week are really starting to add up dear. I can't believe you are at 15 lbs already. I guess it is time for me to start. :) Although I have been much more conscious of what I put in my mouth since you started this, and the scale doesn't budge for me. I think these weeks away from home will help you get into the exercise mode. Keep it up my dear!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on losing 15lbs!!! That is awesome Steve. It's great for you to have time to reflect on portion size too. Portion control is probably the biggest key to losing weight and maintaining a smaller you! You were right on in one of your comments on exercise and that it wouldn't burn the calories you had consumed in something you ate.

If I went to Cold Stone Creamery and had a medium milk shake (abt 1500 cal), (no I've never done this) I would then have to ride my bike for 1 hr and 45 min with my heart rate at 145 or higher for the whole ride to burn it off!

In our culture we like to give ourselves treats and indulgences because we were 'good.' It's really hard to work off any extras that are consumed.

Keep working hard ... endure!

Kristin said...

Wow, Bosie! That is FANTASTIC!!! 15 pounds total? That's gotta start feeling great! You are doing so well! I can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving. There are approx. 12 more weeks to Thanksgiving. If you keep up your 2-3 pounds a week, by then you could be down another 24-36 pounds. It'll really be showing! Keep up the good work. I'm only down 8.2 pounds, (I love that weight watchers counts the .2 after the 8...haha) but I'm trying my darndest! :) Keep it up!!

Roger said...

1. 2-3 lbs a week is fantastic!
2. Faux pas (literally, false step)
3. I use this site constantly to check sodium content in restaurant food. It has calorie count and a alot of other great information.
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/

cognoramus said...

Steve, awesome stuff! I'll just echo what everyone else said. 15 pounds in 5 weeks is pretty impressive. Keep it up, we'll come visit you at work when you get back.

cognoramus said...

Steve, where's the new post? You've got me hooked!