Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lots of Mistakes During Weeks Seven and Eight!

Okay, I'll have to start out by saying that I didn't really make lots of mistakes. I just needed something that was going to rhyme with eight. I only made a few mistakes, the problem was that I made those few mistakes over and over again. As you know from my last post, during weeks seven and eight I was on a business trip. Here's my problem with going on a business trip. I asked for some advice for those trips and got some great feedback. Some of the suggestions were to find a place with a kitchenette so that I could cook in. Other suggestions were to go to places that served healthy food so that I could eat something healthy off of the menu. All were great ideas and I had great intentions. I think there is a phrase, though, that says, the pathway to hell is paved with good intentions. Well, it can be said the same of diets... the pathway to gaining weight is paved with good intentions.

I stayed in a hotel called Homewood suites. I like staying there because they're generally nice hotels to stay in and they have all suites, so kitchenette and all. They also serve a light meal in the evenings. So when I got there, instead of going to the store and buying groceries, I was just going to eat their light dinner. It saves me money and usually tastes pretty good. My main problem with this trip is that I ate a decent breakfast in the mornings but then wasn't hungry during the day, so I only ate a few times during the day. So, when I got back from the conference in the evenings, I was usually pretty hungry. I would usually go to dinner around 6:30 and by that time I was starving. I also found that, while the meals are advertised as "light" they were anything but. I think they served meatloaf and mashed potatoes one day, taco bar another day, BBQ pulled pork sandwiches another day and hamburgers another, just to give you an idea of the menu. The food tasted wonderful and so portion control went out the window. I had two servings every time I went to dinner.

Staying there two weeks got me into some bad habits. I went, as most of you probably saw from my facebook post, and worked out once while I was there. I have to be honest, my wife and kids are a great motivator for me to workout. I am far more inclined to go workout when I have them expecting it every evening.

Those were my big killers for the week and did it in for my healthy habits last week... or lack of them.

I think I've done great at making large goals, the overall big goals for the end of this diet and the beginning of my new lifestyle, but I've not done so great at making smaller, weekly, goals. So, with that in mind, the bifurcation of my goals for this week is going to be focused on nutrition and physical fitness.

Nutrition

Eating: This week my goal is to have no more than one helping at dinner (where I eat the most) everyday this week.

Drinking: I got in a bad habit of drinking diet sodas. While they don't necessarily hurt me where weight loss is concerned, they certainly don't help. My goal for drinking is to avoid all sodas this week.

Physical Fitness

Exercise: My goal this week is to workout such that I get my heart rate up at least five days this week. Watch for my running entries in the top right hand corner of this blog.

Meeting my goals for being more healthy should lead to the overall goal for this week...

Weight Loss: My goal is to lose five pounds this week. I would like to lose seven, so that I will be on track for where I would have been had I done well these past two weeks. Plus, this is the beginning of my year-long diet and I need to lose all that I can now when I have more to lose.

That's my story for the last two weeks. Hope that you all cheer me on in the coming days. The vacation is over for me now.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, the word of the week is bifurcate: To split or divide into two.

Steve



The usual weekly statistics:

Journey's starting weight: 260
Week's Starting weight: 245 Pounds
Current weight: 246 Pounds
Weight Loss last week: -1 Pound (GAINED)
Total weight loss: 14 pounds
% Weight Loss this last week: -0.4%
% Weight Loss total diet: 5.4%
Time jogging without stopping: 3:00

7 comments:

Sue said...

Well, I am happy to read your post again. I think to only gain 1 pound while on a two week trip is commendable. The goal when out of your pattern is to hold steady, kind of like the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think the 1 lb will come off easily and that you will be on track. Congratulations for not blowing it.

Anonymous said...

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming ... Just don't give up! You are doing well in maintaining focus, even if you slip here and there. It took years for you to develop the habits that led to weight gain and it will take time to develop new habits. Endure to the end!

A side note on diet colas ... yes, it will hamper your weight loss. Sure, there aren't any real calories to speak of, but there is a lot of aspartame and it plays quite a game in the body. Stay away from them if you can; aspartame is basically a poison under a nice name.

Mon said...

Don't be too hard on yourself, Steve-o. I still struggle with eating well when I'm on the road...and I've been on the road for the better part of four years now...Good weeks and not-so-good weeks happen.


All of those little changes are like drops of water in a bucket...before you know it, you'll have a pail full of water. :)

Teresa said...

WHAT! You gained a pound??

J/K you are doing awesome honey, and I would say that is pretty good for two weeks of going out to eat.
I agree with you that a lot of your problem is portion control, and you are doing an amazing job at controlling that. Thanks so much for setting such a GREAT example to me and the boys. I love you.

Kristin said...

I think Sue is totally right. To have only gained 1 pound in 2 weeks is pretty dang good. But now you're home and can get your focus back. WW is going good for me. I've lost 11.8 so far. I wish it was more, but slow and steady wins the race, right? :) Okay, well, good luck this week!!!

Steve said...

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that gaining even one pound is good. I look at it that I had two weeks to lose weight and I didn't lose weight either week. I'll make up for it this week, though. So far so good. I'm on track to meet the nutrition and exercise goals.

Roger said...

You missed your chance - "Week Seven and Eight - Bifurcate!"

Thanks for clarifying. I thought bifurcate is what you do if you draw Kate's name in the gift exchange.